Justice for Peter Horace-Wright: Family of man murdered in Fairbanks calls for answers

Published: Sep. 17, 2020 at 5:31 PM AKDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

FAIRBANKS, Alaska (KTVF) -Family of a man shot at Badger Towing last year, stood outside the courthouse on Thursday, asking for justice.

According to reports Peter Horace-Wright was allegedly shot to death by Ryder Alan Smith at Badger Towing in November of last year.

Documents state a cell phone was recovered from the incident showing a video with Horace-Wright holding the phone saying, “This is live, don’t this is live!” Followed by video of Ryder Smith firing a gun shot into Horace-Wright’s vehicle.

At this point Horace-Wright drops the phone but it continues to record audio.

Alaska State Troopers say after the phone is dropped and audio captures shoes squeaking. The first gun shot is heard followed by screaming from Horace-Wright. Two seconds later another gunshot can be heard followed by two more, less than 10 seconds apart.

Horace-Wright can continue to be heard screaming and pleading for a period of time.

Troopers say shortly after the shooting the garage door was closed and Ryder Smith calls his father, Robert Smith, one of the owners of Badger Towing.

Approximately 11 minutes had elapsed between the shots fired and Ryder Smith calling 911.

Documents go on to say Ryder Smith told law enforcement Horace-Wright was an intruder trying to burgle the towing business. A smashed phone was also recovered from the scene.

Ryder Smith was charged with first degree murder and tampering with physical evidence and is awaiting trial.

The family of Peter Horace-Wright stood outside the courtroom listening in on audio being played at Thursday’s pre-trial hearing.

Horace-Wright’s mother, Bernadette Demientieff, said she wants justice for her son and justice brought onto Ryder Smith’s father, Robert Smith, who she says, never called for help after getting off the phone with his son.

“The father needs to be held accountable. He still has not to this day reported the crime," Demientieff said. "He spent 11 minutes, which I feel is inappropriate. Any decent parent would tell you to call 911 or they would hang up and call 911. You don’t spend 11 minutes while your son is cleaning up evidence, a crime scene.”

We reached out to the Alaska State Trooper working on the case, Malik Jones, but could not get a hold of him as of broadcast time. We also reached out District Attorney Spenser Rupert who said he wouldn’t comment on the case.

Copyright 2020 KTVF. All rights reserved.