Safeway pharmacies in Alaska now offering at-home COVID-19 test kits
FAIRBANKS, Alaska (KTVF) - Carrs Safeway pharmacies in Alaska are now offering at-home COVID-19 test kits. The saliva tests, offered at Carrs Safeway in partnership with Phosphorus Diagnostics, typically offer results in 72 hours or less from the time the lab receives the test.
Tests cost $139.99 and require no medical referrals. However, the tests must be paid out of pocket. Currently, Safeway is unable to bill insurance directly for this test. You may be able to submit your receipt to your insurance company for reimbursement.
David Green, Director of Pharmacy at Safeway said the best time to send off a kit is earlier in the week, if possible.
“As soon as you activate the test, you have a sample, you have 24 hours to get in the mail. So it comes with pre-postage paid FedEx and the lab has to get it within three days, otherwise they’re not going to get an accurate test,” said Green.
Green says people can order kits if they do not have symptoms, and the test kits can be ordered in advance if small businesses want them for their employees, or for anyone anticipating travel.
“The timeline doesn’t start until you have an active sample, so yeah, I believe the actual expiration date of an un-activated sample is well over a year. So people can go, and we’ve even seen, judging with this division, parents of college kids, that they just say, hey I feel better that you have this test. It’s just that peace of mind,” Green continued.
Here is how it works:
1. Visit scheduletest.com to complete a short medical questionnaire and request your test.
2. Your Carrs Safeway pharmacist will authenticate the information, review, and order your test.
3. You will be contacted for payment* and receive notification that your test kit is ready for pick-up or has delivered/shipped to your address. Patients showing symptoms should not pick up their own test; they must send a representative or choose delivery.
4. Complete the sample collection and send it to the lab via the kit’s prepaid next-day shipping envelope.
5. Receive your results by email or text.
After receiving results, your Carrs Safeway pharmacist will be available for questions regarding follow-up care. Customers can contact any local Carrs Safeway pharmacy for additional information.
Copyright 2020 KTVF. All rights reserved.