University Fire Department saves home from attic fire
FAIRBANKS, Alaska (KTVF) - The University Fire Department responded to a fire Tuesday morning at a home off of Farmers Loop Road. According to UFD Fire Marshal Kyle Green, when they arrived at the location, they found the attic on fire.
“They did a very aggressive, immediate attack on that fire, brought it down under control and was able to keep that fire in the attic,” Green said.
Green said that from his initial inspection it appeared that the cause of the fire was the stove pipe, “It appears that we had improper [sic] next to the chimney pipe so there was improper clearances around the chimney pipe which lead to a fire in the attic.”
The residents were able to leave the home safely and no one was injured in the fire. The fire did cause damage to the home but Green said that the residents of the home should be able to repair the attic and move back in. He said that they did have to tear out some of the ceiling to put the fire out so the house is currently unlivable. Firefighters were also able to save most of the belongings in the home.
Copyright 2021 KTVF. All rights reserved.