Ice Dogs Sweep Wilderness

Fairbanks Make It Four Straight
Published: Dec. 6, 2021 at 7:38 PM AKST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

FAIRBANKS, Alaska (KTVF) - The Fairbanks Ice Dogs have embarked on their journey of forty eight days between games at the Big Dipper Ice Arena. The Ice Dogs started their first weekend away from Fairbanks at their “home away from home” in Marshall, Minnesota. Marshall, the city that welcomed the Ice Dogs as was their designated “home location” during the COVID-adjusted NAHL season.

The Ice Dogs played host to the Minnesota Wilderness in their first series in their trip to the Midwest. Friday night, Jake Hale opened up the scoring in the second period. Just eighty five seconds later, Cameron Ricotta would push Fairbanks’ lead to two. Fairbanks Marcus Lund, would get sent to the box for checking from behind, and the Wilderness would capitalize on their powerplay opportunity keeping the game within one. Before the period expired, Nolan Cunningham would regain the Ice Dogs two goal lead.

Heading into the third, Ice Dogs leading 3-1, the Wilderness and Ice Dogs would trade a combined four goals. Owen Neuharth would net his sixth goal of the season on the powerplay, and Jack Ring would add the powerplay, empty net goal with one second left on the clock. Fairbanks taking game one from the Wilderness, 5-3. Despite the Wilderness out-shooting Fairbanks, Kayden Hargraves was prepared for the task making thirty seven saves on the night.

Saturday, the Ice Dogs looking for their second consecutive sweep, got off to the right start. Owen Neuharth, playing in his home state of Minnesota, scored the only goal of the first period. The goal was the seventh of the season for Neuharth; his second of the series.

The second period was a back and forth, goal-filled twenty minutes. Fairbanks started with two consecutive goals within the first five minutes from Jacob Conrad and Cameron Ricotta. Both those goals coming on the powerplay, and Conrad scoring his first goal of the season. Then Minnesota answered with two of their own, reducing the Fairbanks lead back to one. The trend would continue, Tyler Stewart and Cameron Ricotta would add two more for Fairbanks. Twenty five seconds later, the Wilderness would get one back, but that would end the seven-goal second period with the Dogs up 5-3.

Despite goals fueling the second period, it took eighteen minutes into the third, for a goal to be scored. Tyler Herzberg would put the game away with an empty net goal, securing the win and the sweep. Tyler Krivtsov stopped twenty two shots on the night, earning the victory. Fairbanks has now won four games in a row and six of their last ten. The Fairbanks will stay in the Midwest before their next series against the Chippewa Steel this weekend in Wisconsin.

Copyright 2021 KTVF. All rights reserved.