Carbon monoxide poisoning suspected cause of death in two North Pole residents

Alaska state troopers have released the names of two North Pole residents found dead in a residential workshop.
Published: Dec. 1, 2022 at 10:52 AM AKST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

FAIRBANKS, Alaska (KTVF) - Alaska State Troopers have released the names of two North Pole residents found dead in a residential workshop a week ago. Jacob Wegner and Robert Melvin Brockway III, both age 40, were found deceased last Wednesday. Carbon monoxide poisoning is the suspected cause of death.

The State Medical Examiner’s Office report revealed significantly elevated levels of CO in both males, according to a dispatch report.

Next of kin have been notified, and a 41-year-old woman who was found unresponsive at the scene has been treated and released from a local hospital.

Investigators do not suspect foul play.

Dispatch states, on November 23 at 1:37 p.m., the North Star Volunteer Fire Department responded to a residence off Mill Pond Road in North Pole, for a report of an unresponsive adult male in a residential workshop. EMS crews found two adult males deceased and an unresponsive female.

Alaska State Troopers and a Deputy Fire Marshal from Fairbanks responded to the scene. Their investigation discovered a generator with an empty fuel tank that was connected to a breaker box in an attached shed of the workshop. There was also a large woodstove inside the workshop that had been heating up the shop.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that is very difficult to detect. “Carbon monoxide can kill before the presence is known. There are no early warning signs,” said Fairbanks Fire Chief Scott Raygor “and every house should have a minimum of one carbon monoxide detector per floor.”

Carbon monoxide detectors are inexpensive and available at local hardware stores, Fred Myers, and Walmart.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion and are often described as “flu-like,” according to the cdc.gov website.

For more information about CO poisoning and unsafe carbon monoxide levels in your home visit the Environment Protection Agency website.