COVID-19 postpones census deadlines, households still encouraged to respond
The decennial census would normally be winding down, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the population count has been delayed. This means that households still have time to file online.
Alysha Childs is the Complete Count Coordinator for the Fairbanks North Star Borough and said that while people are still able to apply online, in August they will start going door-to-door attempting to contact non-response households. Currently she said the borough has seen a 47% response rate.
Childs encourages anyone who hasn’t responded to go to the census
. Childs also said that people can respond by calling (844) 330-2020.
She said it is important that everyone responds because the state receives around $3,000 each year per Alaskan. She said that is over $30,000 dollars per Alaskan that will be distributed to the state until the next census.
"And that goes to a lot of different things. It goes to our road systems, our infrastructure, it also goes to things like healthcare. It goes to a lot of nutrition programs, school lunch programs, just a lot of different things are influenced by census numbers," Childs said.
Childs also reminded people that they should fill out the census for where they lived on April 1. She said that even if they or people in their household have moved since then, they should still use the previous data.