UPDATE: Two FNSB employees test positive for COVID-19
Update: According to Public Information Officer Lanien Livingston, a second FNSB employee has tested positive for COVID-19. The Juanita Helms Administration Center located at 907 Terminal Street is now closed to all public and employees effective immediately. It will reopen on Monday, July 13th, 2020.
Original Story: Fairbanks North Star Borough administration announces that an employee has tested positive for COVID-19. This is the first FNSB employee to be confirmed as having the disease.
In an evening communication sent out to all borough employees, Mayor Ward stated that borough administration was notified Wednesday evening, July 8th that an employee had tested positive. Following this announcement, these preventative action steps were immediately implemented:
1. Immediate closure of the affected offices.
2. Thursday evening, FNSB will conduct a deep cleaning/sanitizing of all the affected workspaces and common areas.
3. Following the deep cleaning, a 24-hour wait period will take place prior to staff returning to those duty stations.
4. Contact tracing will take place during this time to evaluate any other potential exposure locations in Juanita Helms Administration Center (JHAC).
5. Individuals will be contacted by State of Alaska, Division of Public Health or FNSB Risk Management if they have been identified as an individual who has come into close contact with the positive employee. Borough residents and employees are reminded to abide by the current health guidelines as outlined by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to protect their health and the health of those around them.
Additional information can also be found on the State of Alaska Department of Health and Social Services website: https://covid19.alaska.gov/.
Due to the closure, the Borough Assembly canceled tonight’s Legislative Priorities Meeting, scheduled to begin at 5:30 PM. This meeting will be rescheduled with the new date to be announced soon. Participation in regularly scheduled assembly meetings will resume next week and will continue with established mitigation protocols in place to maintain social distancing and to limit the number of in person attendees. However, members of the public are encouraged to participate in these meetings via Zoom.
Full information on how to participate via Zoom can be found here: http://www.fnsb.us/assembly/Pages/connected.aspx. If you have any questions regarding the Assembly Meeting schedule, please call 459-1401.
As a reminder, the Juanita Helms Administration Center is open to the public by appointment only. Call 459-1000 to be connected to the department that you need to do business with. Borough Tax Notices recently were mailed to all property owners and included information on a yellow card detailing ways to pay taxes without having to physically come into the JHAC building. Online information on how to pay your property taxes can be found here: http://www.fnsb.us/fs/Pages/Pay-Taxes-Online.aspx.
In his email to employees, Borough Mayor Bryce Ward said, “Please continue to be safe. I strongly encourage you to wear a mask or cloth face covering, practice social distancing, be diligent about hand and face hygiene and do your best to keep your exposure to large groups of people limited.”
Borough employees and the public will be kept informed on this matter as the circumstances change.