UPDATE: Fairbanks police comment on South Fairbanks shooting, staying safe during altercations

 (Fairbanks Police Department)
(Fairbanks Police Department) (KTVF)
Published: Jun. 23, 2020 at 9:47 AM AKDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn


According to Richard Sweet, acting deputy chief for the Fairbanks Police, the victim was shot in the head. Sweet said that having the video helped with the investigation and encouraged anyone who has video of a crime to turn it over to police. However, he said that people shouldn’t risk injury to get video.

Sweet also discouraged people break up fights saying, “In this incident there was a verbal altercation, that turned into all the sudden out of nowhere a firearm shows up and it's discharged. So, what you don't know is what you are really walking into. I think one of the best things to do is just call 911 and you know, if you don't know the parties involved if you are not directly involved in that, just call 911 and see if we can get some officers over there. It's just safer for everybody."

Original Story:

On Monday, June 22nd, at approximately 8:20pm, Fairbanks Police Officers working in the area of Cushman Street and 14th Avenue were contacted by a passerby who stated that a male was trying to fight people in the area of South Cushman and 15th Avenue. Officers responded to the area and observed a male on a bicycle matching the description from the witness. Officers made contact with the male suspect at 16th Avenue and Stacia.

At the same time officers were talking to the male suspect, identified as Tayvian Green, 23. Fairbanks Emergency Communication Center received two 911 calls in which the callers reported that a male had just been shot by another male at South Cushman and 15th Avenue. One of the callers reported to the dispatcher that FPD was in contact with the shooter.

Another witness in the area made contact with the officers and stated that he observed Green throw the gun away. Officers were able to locate the gun, a .357 revolver, a short distance from where they contacted Green. Officers interviewed several witnesses, including the victim’s girlfriend, who identified Green as the shooter. One witness had recorded the shooting incident on his cell phone and provided the video to FPD.

The victim was transported by Fairbanks Fire Department paramedics with a single gunshot wound. He was medically stabilized and life-flighted to Providence in Anchorage for further treatment.

Green was arrested for Attempted Murder in the First Degree and Assault in the First Degree. He was booked at the Fairbanks Correctional Center.

This investigation is on-going and anyone with information should contact the FPD Investigations Unit at or 907-450-6550.

Latest News

Latest News