Suspects arrested after attempting to flee Fairbanks police by jumping into river

Police surrounded a wooded area near Fort Wainwright after two suspects ran into the woods...
Police surrounded a wooded area near Fort Wainwright after two suspects ran into the woods following a chase. They were eventually apprehended in the Chena River. (John Dougherty/KTVF) (KTVF)
Published: Jul. 7, 2020 at 5:36 PM AKDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

On Monday evening Fairbanks Police Department received a request from an off duty probation officer to preform a stop on a felony parolee that he was following in a car. FPD made contact with the vehicle, which appeared to be stopping, but then sped off. According to FPD Sergeant Spencer DeWaele, FPD ended the pursuit but the suspects crashed into a tree shortly after. FPD pursued on foot as the two suspects later identified as Jeremy Fish and Richard Baker allegedly ran across the Steese Highway towards the snow dump by Fort Wainwright. DeWaele said that Jeremy Fish was wanted on Felony Parole for crimes including robbery and assault.

Fairbanks Police with the assistance of the military police set up a perimeter around the wooded area and used K-9s to search for the suspects. While they were searching, Richard Baker was seen jumping into the Chena River. Police followed him on the bank and he eventually swam to the other side where police pulled him out of the water and placed him under arrest. He was taken to the hospital to be treated for potential hypothermia. He was charged with disorderly conduct but DeWaele said more charges may be filed.

Police continued to search for Richard Fish and called the Fairbanks Fire Department to search the river with a boat in case Fish needed help. While the boat was searching, they spotted Fish hiding half in the water under some trees. Police responded and Fish jumped in to the water but according to DeWaele immediately requested help.

Fish was taken to Fairbanks Memorial hospital for cold related injuries as well and after being treated for five hours was released. After being released he allegedly ran from police a second time. DeWaele said he allegedly fought with two officers, stealing one of their radios. He eventually dropped the radio and was found a short time later hiding under a car.

Fish was charged with second degree robbery for allegedly stealing the officer's radio. He was also charged with two counts of fourth degree assault on a police officer, resisting arrest, two counts of disorderly conduct and failure to stop at the direction of a police officer.

Copyright 2020 KTVF. All rights reserved.